The following are examples of nurse-driven quality improvement projects aimed at improving patient satisfaction to a large academic medical center:
- A project to reduce patient and family anxiety and confusion through the use of prepared scripts for a multitude of frequent patient questions.
- Increase patient satisfaction in an outpatient chemotherapy infusion unit by increasing patient throughput.
- Increase patient satisfaction on an orthopedic floor through reduction of average length of stay through redesign of discharge process.
- Increase patient satisfaction through reduction of noise on an oncology unit through the use of EBP on improving patient environments.
- Reduce perineal skin ulceration resulting from incontinence-associated dermatitis through the use of EBP project on a standard skin protocol for ICU patients.
- Increase patient satisfaction in regard to pain management at the unit and departmental levels through the creation of a cohort of trained pain management resource nurses to help bedside nurses manage their patients’ pain.
Cynthia Barnard, MBA, MSJS, CPHQ