- Simply recognize a staff member for a job well done in front of other staff on a daily basis.
- Forward to the entire staff specific e-mails you receive that name a specific person for some accomplishment.
- Create a "pass along" award. It may be some sort of trophy, a button, or stuffed animal that has meaning to the group. Establish a rule that the recipient must pass the award along to another deserving person within two weeks of receiving it.
- Give individual staff members their own days. Recognize special people, achievements, or actions by declaring a work date as their day. Announce that next Tuesday is "Chris Smith Day," and ask all the staff to say or do something to contribute to the celebration.
- Frequently point out what a great team you have.
—Shelley Cohen, RN, BS, CEN, and Dennis Sherrod, EdD, RN