banner
HCPro

Hospitals in California cancel nursing students' on-site training


CLICK to Email E-mail
CLICK for Print Version Print
Archives

In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, large hospital chains in California have discontinued clinical rotations at their medical centers to protect nursing students and patients and to reserve the supply of personal protective equipment.

Kaiser Permanente, Adventist Health, and Dignity Health have cancelled on-site clinical training for nurses, forcing nursing schools to find alternate training opportunities. California state law requires that 75% of nursing students’ clinical training occur in healthcare settings like hospitals or nursing homes approved by the state’s Board of Registered Nursing. Simulations can be used to complete the remaining 25%.

Due to the cancellations,  the state’s nursing education leaders have requested that the board ease it’s requirement regarding the number of on-site clinical hours so that students can complete their training through simulations, such as computerized mannequins.

Source: Kaiser Health News